We’ve all been on a conference call with distracting background noises and colleagues who forget to use the mute option. This week, we polled our Twitter Followers and Facebook Fans to see what the most annoying things to hear on a conference call:
10. Someone eating
9. People typing (and clearly not paying attention)
7. Wind noises / Calling from outdoors
6. Someone taking a call on other line and hearing their hold music
5. Heavy breathing
4. Food being unwrapped right next to speaker
3. Crying babies / Children screaming
2. Barking dogs
1. A participant talking to another person in the room (but not on the call)
As a chairperson, you can avoid most of issues by muting noisy participants (learn more about Active Speaker) but you may also want to try using ReadyTalk’s integrated audio controls to manage the call; it gives the chairperson more flexibility. Encourage participants to mute/unmute their lines as needed(*6 on the audio keypad).
What else annoys you when you’re on an audio or web conference?
As the marketing communications and PR manager, Bo gets to wear many hats (but her favorite is a tiara). When she isn't tackling branding, messaging, social media and collateral, she enjoys skiing with her husband, running with her dog and watching Formula One. You can find her on Twitter @bo_knows_.